Monday, February 13, 2006



When I decided to paint " My Grandfather's Ghost " I knew exactly how I wanted it done.This his first portrait I have done in years, I was about seven or eight when I drew his profile with his eyes shut ,and did a few unfinished works when he was alive.

I imagined him in his usual spot, watching in TV , as he didn'thave many other options in his last years,I think he is watching an action history film. Historical films and book used to absorb him so much as he would become part of the their reality.

Having endless tea and sweets was his greatest childlike desire, which was normally interrupted by my grandmother's lethal nagging techniques, that was whenever she felt that he is going to have a sugar over dose; although he never had a blood sugar problem in his entire life.

While painting him, I felt so close to him and even felt his presence, he was smiling at me right through the painting and I could see with every little touch of pencil his figure would totally change the pose.




3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some say consciousness resides in form.

5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've really captured your grandfather's expression. I was very moved when I saw it.

11:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your grandad looks so comfy and is as sweet as his biscuits there maryam,love,katya

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home